Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blog 1

I found an article titled “PR could be the winning play for companies’ Super Bowl ads” at www.prweekus.com, from January 14, 2009. The Super Bowl attracts many people to not only watch the game, but to actually watch the commercials during the game. This makes the commercial slots during the Super Bowl very hot commodities as companies lots of times end up paying millions of dollars for a 30 second time slot for their ads.

Many companies that purchases slots for advertising like to use the slot to run an ad that is humorous in hopes that people will remember their ad in the future and in fact buy their product. Some people however, believe that these companies should be using more of a PR approach to their ads.

In 2006, Dove had their first ad during the Super Bowl. Many were surprised to even see them during the Super Bowl, let alone running an ad that had a PR approach and not an attempt at humor. During the commercial Dove reinforced their company’s message of self-acceptance and provided a centerpiece to an integrated campaign as they introduced their “Self-Esteem Fund”. They felt that the ad Dove ran did a good job and attracted many potential customers, unlike www.GoDaddy.com, who uses humor as their main pitch year after year.

I feel that this article has a very valid point that companies should turn to more PR advertising rather than the popular “humor” approach. Our economy as of right now is not very good, and many people might be more touched by a PR approach about a companies’ image, rather than trying to make people laugh. I know that if I knew a company was trying to do well and make a difference in the world for the better, besides just trying to get your money, I would be more apt to purchase their product.

I do in fact like the humorous commercials, but when it comes to actually purchasing products, the humorous ads have really no effect on my decision. If there were two pretty identical products side by side and I did in fact know that one of them had shown me that they are going out of their way to help others, or just have a good self image in general, I would choose the product that I knew had good PR.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool article reference. As a woman, I LOVE Dove's new campaign. I agree with you that this type of approach would likely have more of an effect on purchasing decisions than a funny ad. I also really enjoy the funny ads, and I do appreciate a company that has a sense of humor, especially if they can make fun of themselves. But knowing that Dove is making a concerted effort to promote positive self-esteem in girls and women means a lot more to me than a moment of entertainment.

    One very small suggestion: I would have appreciated a direct link to the article. I did find it without much trouble, but a direct link would have been convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you. Helping others is always a positive, especially in today's world. Humorous ads are great stress relievers and make us laugh, but sometimes what one person thinks is funny is not to another.

    I am more inclined to purchase something from a company I know is helping others rather than those just making money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. like the post man. everyone who watches the Superbowl loves the commercials during the game. Superbowl Sunday is renowned for having the funniest and most creative commercials of the whole season. I would have to agree with you though in that products that have comercials with a PR approach are more likely to get my business. we need more companies in the world that are not only out to make a buck but also are trying to help other people in the world. compassion is something that all people need in these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it ironic that you used Super Bowl commercials as the topic of your blog…I used Super Bowl commercials as the topic of my research project last semester for Dr. Vanhorn’s Comm Research Methods course. What I found was that, yes people do like the humorous ads, but a large majority of those same people is unable to recall what product that commercial pertains to. They can remember the old Italian couple fighting over the bag of potato chips, but not that the chips were Lays.
    Long story short, I agree with you that companies should start looking at the PR approach to advertising. In an economy where every dollar has to be stretched to its max, it would be a wise choice for companies to know they were spending their marketing dollars wisely and getting the most return for their money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike,
    Interesting article – I often think that humor can be used to advertising and PR depending on the subject matter.

    - For a non-profit agency like Big Brothers Big Sisters the use of humor in an advertising campaign, brochures or news article would not attract people to the agency’s mission not to mention could hurt their fund raising efforts.
    - For a beer company like Miller I think that humor can be used as a tool to market the product if humor is tasteful and the message is consistent. No one would be offend by humor to sell beer since.

    A good advertising and PR campaign can do wonders for any company if done correctly.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete