I found an article from the Dallas News that is dated Tuesday, January 20th. The title of the article was “US Airways crash offers a different kind of public-relations challenge.” The article is about the plane crash that just happened recently and everyone on the plane made it out safely with no major injuries.
The article goes on to explain that most of the airlines are prepared for Public Relations after a plane accident. They are prepared to send their CEO’s to the crash site to show the company’s concern and how to say that their crew did everything they could to get everyone out of there alive and all. How often are they really ready for a plane crash where no one is hurt?
It is obviously good that US Airways got everyone out of the crash alive; because it may in fact help their image rather than having people die in the crash. However, the incident is bad because they indeed did have a plane crash. US Airways cannot go out and run ads on the plane crash they had because that would for sure scare some of their potential customers away. It does put them in a bit of a dilemma in the PR department.
I feel for the most part it was bad for their image that a plane went down. On the good side though is they did get everyone that was on the plane out alive, which is very hard to do. Overall it will help their company image because of this. For as long as I have been alive I cannot remember the last plane crash that I heard about where no one got hurt. It was quite a feat and the people from US Airways that were aboard the plane should get recognized for their extreme bravery. I believe this should help boost the image of US Airways.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Personally I was totally impressed with the personnel and pilot on that airplane. I don't know that it makes me think any better or worse of the airline itself. But the pilot was awesome. Every report I've read or heard said he did all the right things at all the right moments. How often is that ever said about someone, especially in a nerve-wracking situation like that?
ReplyDeleteBecause of the circumstances surrounding the accident--the fact that birds flew into both engines--and the fact that this is so rare, I don't think the crash itself would have quite the negative impact on the airline as if, say, the engines failed mechanically or the pilot was drunk.
I, too, was amazed that no one was killed in this crash. The experience and knowledge the pilot had was the only factor that prevented any deaths, in my opinion. The fact that he knew he had to land the plane in the river and took control in a matter of seconds testifies to his skill. He may never know how many lives he affected. Just think of all the families, friends, co-workers those people on the flight have. Everyone will be eternally grateful to the pilot and crew.
ReplyDeleteFrom what I hear birds hitting planes is not that uncommon. With all our technology you would think something could be developed to protect the engines better.
I would have to disagree that I dont feel that it was bad for US Airways. I have done a lot of flying in the past few months an will in the months to come and I have had a few scares but nothing like that. I have flown Northwest, American, and United Arilines. I am satisfied with all of them. When I am looking for a flight I am usually looking at cost more than I am looking at the airline.
ReplyDeleteI feel that people will look at this safe water landing as the pilots know what to do in all situations. They will know that US airways pilots have had the right training for all situations. I know everything views things differently but i truly dont believe that the flight going done after hiting a flock of birds and the engine quitting will have any sort of impact on US airways and if it does in anyway i feel it will be a good one.