Thursday, February 5, 2009

Blog 4

I read an article titled “Stem Cell Research Firm Sidesteps Politics, Goes for PR” from medHeadlines dated February 4, 2009. The article focuses on how Geron, a company that is interested in using medical applications that require embryonic stem cells, is spending money on its Public Relations rather than on the politics side of their products.

Ever since scientists have started talking about using stem cell research to help cure people’s problems there has been a lot of controversy over whether to allow it or not, because it is cloning healthy cells and inserting them into the body of a human with unhealthy cells. Stem cells are cells that are able to renew themselves to make more healthy cells after they are inserted in someone. I believe most of the problem a lot of people are having with this is the cloning part. I don’t agree with people that we should be able to clone an actual human being, but I think cells to help cure a disease for someone I would have no problem with.

While George W. Bush was the president he limited the public funding for research products involving human embryonic stem cells. Since he did this there was really not much of a need for a big PR department for Geron. But with current President Barack Obama promising that he will overturn the Bush ruling to restrict funding, Geron needs to make sure they have a great PR department so they can get all the money they can to further their research. If Obama does in fact overturn the Bush ruling it will allow for Geron to try raising more money which will in turn give them more money for resources, research, and speed up their development of their research.

Geron says that they are targeting the medical community rather than the public at this time. I think that will change as soon as they have more of the medical community behind them and aware of all the great things that they can do with this. After that I believe the PR department will start to target the public to make everyone aware of their capabilities.

2 comments:

  1. Stem cell research is a VERY touchy subject. I am all for it, which goes against my Christian beliefs. However, my brother is a diabetic and the research could cure him or save him after an attack. I understand the concerns about it...but if they find a way that's safe AND can cure some diseases then all the more power to them! My brother not be ther person to take the best care of his disease, but it could help so many more people as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completly with what you are saying about how stem cell research should be allowed or tollerated. The topic of cloning has been a very sensitive subject ever since it has came to be. Morally it is wrong to me to clone a human being or animal, although it is a very interesting subject in a sence on all of the science involved. But, using it to help cure people or disease by cloning cells I think is an area that needs to be studied. And the fact that Geron is trying to fucus their energy on public relations side more than medical community is a very smart move, especially at a very critical time with the new president and economy.

    ReplyDelete