I read an article from the NY Daily News dated February 9, 2009, titled “A-Rod learns important PR lesson.” The article was about how Alex Rodriguez got caught using performance enhancing drugs in 2003. There was supposedly over one hundred random baseball players tested in 2003 and the results were supposed to be anonymous. No player was supposed to get into trouble; they just wanted to get an idea of how many baseball players were actually using the drugs. Then this week news came out that Alex Rodriguez tested positive in 2003.
A-Rod was put in a very difficult situation. He could either deny that he every knowingly used performance enhancing drugs or admit to it. No matter what he chose to do there was going to be consequences that he did not like. He chose to tell the world that he did knowingly use steroids from 2001 until 2003 while he was playing for the Texas Rangers.
This was a shock to many people because they felt that there was no way that he would admit to it even if he did use steroids. Even though he did admit to using steroids there is nothing baseball can do to punish him because when they tested the players in 2003 that was in the clause that the players were granted immunity from consequences.
In the article it stated that they felt it was a great PR move for A-Rod to admit to it because he will not have to face the skepticism every day about whether or not he used performance enhancing drugs. Many people will obviously be let down that such a great player felt he needed to use steroids, but at least he is being honest.
I also feel that it was the right thing to do because if he didn’t admit it now, it would only be worse in the future for him to admit it. He would have to face the fact that he lied to everyone after there was evidence that he did in fact use steroids. I think it was wrong that he did use them, but I am glad that he did come out and tell the truth.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree with you. If he wants to have any respect from his fans then he better admit what he did and that it was wrong. It is a lot easier to keep good PR with the public if they think you are trying to stop than if they know you are lieing.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion he should never be allowed to play agian. Steriods are illegal and it is right that they aren't allowed. With all the new training techniques and technology that are introduced to athletes everyday I don't think steriods are needed. Athletes are aleady faster and stonger then ever before.
I hope A-Rod admits what he is doing is wrong and stops. His fans deserve that.
I think that is it great PR for A-Rod to admit that he was wrong. I’m sure it was disappointing for many fans to find out the truth but it’s better than not hearing the truth from the guy himself. I was watching ESPN and they showed clips of many athletes that were accused of using steroids and denied it, as well as A-Rod. So now that he is telling the truth about using steroids it’s hard to know which athletes are telling the truth.
ReplyDeleteFor A-Rod this is a great way to gain the respect back of many fans. I also think that’s its easier for A-Rod to tell the truth about using steroids when he knows that he can’t get in trouble for it. I also question the people that said that the results would be anonymous but somehow 6 years later the results are released.
There is a article on MSNBC by Bert Blyleven about this whole incident and how A-Rod should make sure to surround himself by understanding people, much like his team will be. If he has enough people that understand his situation, hopefully he'll make it through the criticism, because there will be a lot of it.
ReplyDeleteBert also wrote this: "Baseball needs to try and bring closure to the steroid era so let the names of the guilty be revealed, let them face the media and fans and then baseball needs to move on." I agree, why should Alex be the only guy that gets exposed?
I also just now read that he is getting a book written about his life from a Sports Illustrated writer. It is supposed to be titled "A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez".
It is going to take some serious PR work to get him out of this rut.
Working in a sports bar, ESPN is on every other television in the place. I have seen his interviews over and over again. I think its a good thing that he has come clean, but what happens in the future because of this is what determines the character of Rodriguez. it seems like every other all star in the MLB is using some form of performance enhancing drugs and it sickens me. these incidents gives todays youth the idea that the only way to succeed in professional sports is by using performance enhancing drugs.
ReplyDelete