Thursday, April 2, 2009

Blog 11

This week the article I found was “Vick present in Virginia court hearing,” from ESPN.com on April 2, 2009. The article is about what Michael Vick plans to do when he is finally released from prison in July. Vick is currently serving his 23 month sentence for bankrolling a dog fighting ring. His plans to fight his bankruptcy are to get back into professional football once released. Before he got into trouble for this he was one of the NFL’s most electrifying players, and possibly the best rushing quarterback ever. Right when he gets out he says he has a 10 dollar an hour construction job lined up.

I’m not sure that I 100% believe that Vick will be working construction for 10 dollars an hour when he gets out, but I think the good intentions go a long way to try and get his good image back.

His image is obviously very tarnished after he got caught running and bankrolling a dog fighting ring, which eventually led to his arrest. Good public relations can definitely go a long way for him now since he has to try and get a fan base back. I think a bunch of his former fans will still be behind him if the NFL lets him play again, but again there are probably millions of supporters he lost along the way. So good public relations now can only increase his chances of getting reinstated in the NFL.

If he does not get back in it could be bad news for him because I do not feel that a 10 dollar an hour, 40 hours a week job will be enough for him to get out of all of his debt. As long as he is showing people that he knows what he did was wrong and he learned from it I think he will be alright.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Michael Vick has a lot of work infront of him. He has to somehow change his whole image and make people believe that he is a good person. But I really do believe that he will be able to play soon. The NFL can't afford not to let him in. Like Mike said, he probably is one of the best rushing quarterbacks.

    I just feel that the whole ordeal is sad. Being one of the best rushing quarterbacks why did he feel it nessasary to make money with dog fights?

    I have mixed feelings on whether he should be able to play or not. But I do hope that Vick learned something from all of this and becomes a better person because of it.

    ReplyDelete