I recently read an article titled “Phila. City Council Deals with 'PR Problem” from KYW1060.com dated Saturday April 4, 2009. The article talks about how the public of Philadelphia wants the City Council members to give up some of the perks they are currently receiving. Mayor Nutter spoke on behalf of some of the public, publicly urging the City Council members to give up their city owned cars. Along with cars there are currently six City Council members signed up for DROP and will receive lump payments of approximately 2 million dollars apiece.
Some of the City Council members have stood up and said NO. I think this is really bad PR for the City Council because the people of Philadelphia are thinking that its City Council members are taking money away from improving their city by using the money on themselves. The least they could do is give up their city owned cars I would think. Almost everyone in the city has to find their own transportation whether it be by purchasing a car or riding a city bus.
The City Council also believes it can get some breathing room by holding neighborhood budget hearings in different neighborhoods throughout the city. By doing this they hope to explain to the public that they are doing their best with what they have to improve their city. The cities first budget hearing was at Temple University nearly a week ago. They have another one scheduled for April 23, 2009 at the Mt. Airy Church of God. I believe this is a good idea to try and educate the public on all of the hard work that you are doing for them. I still believe that they should give up their city owned cars.
I do not believe any of what is happening here is good PR for the City Council, especially the way they are handling this. If the majority of the public wants you to do something and you are on the City Council, I think the least they could do is find a way to sacrifice something to make the public happy with what you are doing.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If I was a resident of Philadelphia, I would not be too happy with the City Council. They are suppose to represent the people of the city and not themselves. It sounds like there are a bunch of greedy council members. Once again, greed is the culprit. That is what got our country in the economic mess it is in now.
ReplyDeleteWhen people get in positions of power they seem to forget who they are suppose to take care of. I just don't get it.
City owned cars, big pensions and I wonder how much they make sitting on the council?
I agree with Kim. I would be one upset resident. They are elected to take care of their residents and to help their voices be heard over all of the nonsense in politics. Yet, here they are, representing their best interests instead of their residents. I hate how greedy our society has become. Everything is about money now and no one wants to take care of each other and making sure everyone is doing alright and hanging in there. Disgusts me.
ReplyDeleteThis is so ridiculous, there is no need for a someone on the City Councel to have their own city car. The people of Philadelphia have every right to be upset. I think that its good that the city is holding meetings but that itsnt going to make it ok that they are still spending tax payers money on cars that they dont need.
ReplyDeleteIts sad the way people act when we are going through such a hard time. I think that some people dont even realize how hard it is for other people to even live right now.